Our History

In 1885, Fr. Aloys Steffen purchased the Woodhaven Station of the Long Island Railroad and moved it to St. Elizabeth Church property at 87th Street and Atlantic Avenue. This building became the first St. Elizabeth parish
school, opening its doors in September 1885. The teaching staff was made up of three nuns from the Dominican Order.

The converted railroad station was eventually too small to handle increasing school enrollment. In 1912 Fr. Gustave Baer authorized the construction of a new school building with 10 classrooms and a basement for meeting and recreational facilities. Fr. Baer also purchased 10 lots across the street from the school. Years later, a new 16 room school with library and administrative offices would be built on those 10 lots. The new school building was opened in 1962.

To accommodate pre-K and kindergarten enrollment, four classrooms in the old school building were renovated and modernized in 1986. Today seven Universal Pre-K classes, the auditorium and the cafeteria are housed in this
building. The auditorium was recently remodeled and air conditioned.

St. Elizabeth School Catholic Academy is located in Ozone Park, New York, a multi-ethnic, urban community, 30 minutes from Manhattan.